Friday, August 2, 2013

Week 3 (7/29-8/2): The Heart of Embracement

This week was another week filled with firsts for me; I wrote my first report for my first meeting outside the Gardner Center, and finished off the week with my first day at Redwood City 2020.

The report I put together consisted of an organized spreadsheet of all the research papers I had read since I started my fellowship on July 15. The final result consisted of information about 30 different studies on a variety of topics, and included information on the paper’s authors, what partners were involved in the research, where the research was done, and what areas (academics, health and fitness, physical development, emotional development, etc) the research was addressing. I plan on adding to this spreadsheet as the year goes on and as I learn about more and more research that goes on beyond the Gardner Center. 

After finishing the spreadsheet, I outlined common themes and trends in the research -- populations and age groups that seemed to be well documented. Just as important, if not more so, were the gaps that presented themselves in the research. I am hoping that this report is useful in guiding future research.

On Wednesday, I presented my findings at the District Office in Redwood City to Manuelito and Jana. It was a productive meeting that I hope was informative. If nothing else, we established a regular schedule for me (Mondays, Wednesdays and every other Friday at Redwood City 2020 and Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other Friday at the Gardner Center) and set some important meeting dates on a shared calendar I made just to keep track of everything. I came back to the District Office on Friday, for my first day of work at 2020.

This week’s theme is "The Heart of Embracement." A heart that is ready to embrace anything is necessary in dealing with all these firsts, especially during the first few weeks of a job. Even though it can be confusing or hectic adjusting to a new routine, a new office space, and new people (who all apparently have new names; definitely need to work on this), I am doing my best to embrace things as they come. Though I am, as I’m learning, a creature of habit (I had a banana instead of oatmeal for breakfast yesterday and it threw off my whole day), I need to embrace all these changes as part of my growth. I am trying my best to be open to all these new experiences and just be as helpful as possible. Or at least, for now, as out of the way as possible. Soon, though, these new changes will become routine, so my brain can stop freaking out. 

Next week is the Shinnyo Fellows’ Orientation, as well as the Annual Retreat! Please check back here for updates on how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment