Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Week 5 (8/12-8/16): Building Bridges

This week, I was able to explore many different facets of my responsibilities as a Shinnyo Fellow.

Monday and Tuesday followed the pattern that I have become most used to: bike to work, do some reading, have lunch, do a bit more reading, check in with Manuelito, and then bike home. I’ve really come to appreciate these check-ins; Manuelito always gives me really good insights and guidance as to where I should be investigating, as well as probing questions that I as a non-researcher never would have thought to ask. I’m really valuing the collaboration between the Gardner Center and Redwood City 2020, as I can see what the benefits will be once I start working regularly in both places (there was a space mix up, so I have been working almost exclusively at the Gardner Center). In the near future, I can envision 2020 presenting questions that they would like the answer to, and then the Gardner Center providing the means to answer this question. 

Wednesday was a big day for me, just in terms of starting to make relationships in Redwood City. It started with a special Redwood City 2020 Joint Policy meeting with the Coordinating Council and the Cabinet, made up of leaders from each Core Partner. During this meeting, Jana recounted everything she learned from the conversations that she had with each Coordinating Council and Cabinet member. I was so incredibly impressed because, even though the meeting was 3 hours long and covered a vast array of topics, Jana was able to lead the discussion effectively and efficiently so that the meeting was able to end exactly at noon, and not a minute later. She was able to pack so much meaningful dialogue into those three hours. I think this just speaks to how well she and Janneth did their homework, and how much they respect everybody and their busy schedules. 

During the meeting itself, I was able to see a behind-the-scenes look at how Redwood City 2020 works, and how decisions are made. I really enjoyed the aura of collaboration; no one person or organization dominated the group, and everyone’s voices were heard. I got to see how they decided how Redwood City 2020 would move forward, as well as ideas for future meetings. 

I was also able to meet many of the people on the Coordinating Council and Cabinet. While it was only really in the context of an icebreaker (human bingo!), just meeting people and learning a little bit about them is integral to laying the foundation for future relationships. I have a feeling that I will be working a lot with these people in the coming year, so beginning to build these bridges (theme alert!) is crucial to what I will be doing in the Redwood City community. 

After the meeting, and a quick lunch, I got a chance to meet with Elena, the Community School Coordinator at Hoover Community School. Jana, Elena, and I walked around the North Fair Oaks neighborhood and I learned about some of the issues facing the North Fair Oaks residents. I also got to visit a Healthy Corner Store, a product of a Redwood City 2020 initiative. Afterward, Elena gave me a tour around Hoover and answered some of my questions. The school was a little empty, given that the school year hadn’t started yet, but I plan to go back soon to see it in action. In fact, this Friday is an event at Hoover called “Nuestra Escuela,” which I will be attending and observing. 

The time with Jana and Elena was invaluable to my work in the Redwood City community. I am extremely grateful that they took the time to show me around and acquaint me with the school and the neighborhood. I hope to visit the rest of the schools soon!

That Thursday at the Gardner Center was full of meetings. I had a morning meeting during which we discussed the various research projects related to the Youth Development Archive. The meeting immediately after that was a brief one about research at another school in the district. The meeting immediately after THAT was our weekly staff meeting. So between Wednesday and Thursday, I think I experienced the full spectrum of what I expect to do for the rest of the year: learn about research and other initiatives during meetings and learn about the community by being in the community. 

As previously noted, this week’s theme is “Building Bridges.” I think this week did a lot in the way of giving me an opportunity to build bridges, not only in making connections with people, but making personal ties with the community. I think it’s also an apt metaphor for my role as a Shinnyo Fellow this year: to build a bridge between two institutions so that interactions between the two are effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment