Tuesday, May 13, 2014

February: Professional Development

The theme of February was professional development: I learned and honed so many skills that will benefit me in whatever profession I choose.

Once a week in the month of February, we met with a meditation trainer for an hour. During these meetings, the trainer checked in on our practice and gave us a space to talk about challenges or other obstacles to meditating. This opportunity to reflect on my meditation allowed me to focus on the parts that were hard for me: finding a consistent time to do it, finding a quiet place to do it, and acknowledging that it will have benefits in the long run. These were all qualms I had that were assuaged during these meetings. Since learning to meditate, I’ve found that I am more well rested, more focused, and more productive.

I also got to experience professional development of a different flavor. The other SPIN fellows and I, supported by Jim Murray and the Haas Center, went on a trip to the Cal Academy of Sciences. It was a busy morning (there were so many families there because it was the monthly Free Admissions Day), but ultimately a great experience learning about the universe and bonding with the other SPIN fellows.

I also gave my first real presentation of my work to the Gardner Center in February. I took the large environmental scan poster that had been created as a result of the strategic planning meeting, and hung it at the back of the room. I would like to think that my colleagues at the Gardner Center were impressed at the scope of the work I had done, but I know that their research has had so much more of an impact; I just had a larger poster! The presentation itself took the form of a quiz. I asked questions like “What percent of Redwood City School District students are eligible for the Free and Reduced Lunch Program?” I solicited answers from people, and then revealed the answer. Oftentimes, the real answer surprised them. From the presentation, it was clear that a lot of work in Redwood City had to be done. After the presentation, many people told me that it was informative and well done. I was just glad I didn’t faint from nervousness.

Lastly, I got a chance to sit in on work group meetings for Redwood City 2020. After the strategic planning retreat, Jana asked the attendees to sign up for work groups, which would tackle the areas they had decided to focus on. I won’t divulge what the groups or areas of work were, but I sat in on three different groups covering 6 different areas of work. It was another rare glimpse behind the scenes of a collaborative, a glimpse that I would not have had were it not for this fellowship. These work group meetings would lay the foundation for another big meeting date: April 9th, the Coordinating Council meeting. During this meeting, the work groups will present their work to the Coordinating Council, and the Coordinating Council will vote to move forward with that work or to move on to other areas of work. Exciting stuff! Stay tuned for more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment